[FIRST IMPRESSION] While You Were Sleeping (2017)

This is going to sound silly but I dot-pointed a draft for this post right at the beginning of this drama but totally forgot about it until now ... over two months after the final episode aired. So I thought I'd just post what I had since it captures my fangirling quite well haha. I'll start working on a review now ...




And so finally, the first few episodes of While You Were Sleeping have aired! Those who are close to me probably know that I've been going on about this drama for months ... in fact I don't think I've ever waited this long for a drama. I caught wind of this drama when it was announced in the early stages - some time early 2016/late 2017? There were a few reasons as to why I was so excited:
  • It's a drama written by Park Hye Ryun, who wrote I Hear Your Voice and Pinocchio, two of my all-time favourite dramas! I never paid attention to screenwriters until I watched those two dramas and noticed a similar vibe between the two - and it was a vibe I really loved.
  • Lee Jong Suk is going to be in it! Perhaps I like Lee Jong Suk because I associate him with the lovable characters Park Hye Ryun creates ... or maybe Park Hye Ryun's characters are so lovable because they're portrayed by Lee Jong Suk ... one will never know ...
  • Suzy is going to be in it! I've always looked upon Suzy favourably and think she's a good actress, although I'm aware that many people disagree. I enjoyed watching her older works Dream High and Gu Family Book. I feel like most of the people complaining about her acting use Uncontrollably Fond as an example ... could it be because of that specific drama script? I haven't watched it so can't say.
  • The plotline! Someone who dreams the future working with someone who tries to stop it from happening... it sounded quite interesting! It also echoes the fantasy-grounded-in-reality concept found in my favourite Park Hye Ryun's works.
Now some extra thoughts after watching the first few episodes:
  • Really liking the unexpected reversal - male lead can dream of the future too!
  • Was worried that the trailer had spoiled a lot of the drama like Chinese drama trailers but most of the scenes have already happened
  • This writer writes very tight storylines - things from the beginning become significant and tie in with other things at the end of the drama
    • This was mentioned by the cast too in preview episode 0 
  • Loved the familiar cast
  • Suzy's hair length! She's rocking the short hair, I love it.
  • It's amusing how the female lead's chicken shop in both IHYV and WYWS (PHR's works) are named after the female lead
  • Interestingly, I am disliking the people at male lead's workplace as opposed to in IHYV and Pinocchio, where the colleagues make me love the drama even more.

Comments

Popular Posts