[OST Highlight] While You Were Sleeping (2017)

I can't believe 6 hours' worth of While You Were Sleeping has aired already! And yet I haven't finished writing up my first impressions post ... ><

Onto the topic of this blog post - the mystery OST which played at the end of episode 12! Some of the scenes in the video may be spoilers (up to episode 12).


The murderer exposes where Hong Joo is hiding, and she screams out for Jung Jae Chan. Suddenly the entire area gets illuminated by what looks like stadium lights *cue OST which audience has never heard before* and a man's footsteps are shown approaching in slow motion. Lens flare + blurry silhouette = angel to the rescue. Hong Joo is still in shock and looks up to see Mr Angel striding towards her. Mr Angel's features gradually come into focus as (we assume) her eyes adjust to the light and yay it's Jae Chan to the rescue! Hong Joo barely manages a relieved smile. It's a scene which reminds a lot of fans of the famous Goblin silhouette scene.



Since this song first aired at the end of episode 12 everyone's fallen in love with it! If you have a look at the comments section in the youtube video there's a chain of 150+ comments trying to guess who the singers are since it hasn't been officially released yet. The names which have been mentioned so far and my opinions are below:
  • Lee Hi
    • Unlikely - Lee Hi's voice is much deeper and huskier than this female singer.
  • Punch
    • Unlikely - I feel like Punch's voice has a characteristic airiness which is different to this singer's voice. Punch's high notes are also on the weaker side whereas this female singer's high notes are really strong?
  • Davichi
    • Unlikely - This just doesn't sound like Davichi. The female parts all sound like they're sung by the one person and I'm usually able to spot a Davichi OST straight away ;)
  • Lee Jong Suk
    • Unlikely - From the videos I've seen of him singing at fan meetings, he isn't a good singer (sorry but I'm trying to be objective! LJS fan here too~).
  • AKMU
    • Suhyun - unlikely. Suhyun's voice is more bubbly and isn't as thick and mature-sounding as this singer.
    • Chanhyuk - possibly? In terms of the voice, I think it really does sound like Chanhyuk. But considering he's been in the military since September it makes it less likely that he's the singer. *BUT* WYWS, unlike most other kdramas, was preproduced so it's possible that he recorded this song before enlisting.
  • Monogram
    • Possibly. I've never heard of this group before so am unfamiliar with them, but searched them up as some fans (and the uploader of the above video) seem adamant that they're the singers. I agree that their voices sound similar to the ones in the OST, and that the male's voice sounds like Chanhyuk's which would explain my confusion!
  • Se-O
    • Don't think so - unfamiliar with this artist, as the first time I heard about her was from her other WYWS OSTs. However I don't think this OST sounds like it's sung by the same person, and I also doubt they'd use the same artist more than twice on a soundtrack.
  • Jang Jae In
    • Don't think so. I don't think it really sounds like Jang Jae In but I'm not very familiar with JJI's voice so I could be wrong.
  • Lim Kim
    • No idea - not familiar with this artist at all. After youtubing one of her songs I can see the similarities in tone - but overall not sure.
  • Kim Na Young
    • Don't think so? Not familiar with this artist as well. Quick youtube search is making me lean on the no side.
  • Heize
    • No idea - not familiar with this artist either. On quick youtubing I can see some similarities, but not enough to make me think it's her.
  • Suran
    • Don't think so - unfamiliar with this artist, though her Strong Woman Do Bong Soon OST leaves me with the impression that her voice is too sweet and innocent to be this singer.
Haha I can't believe I actually typed all of that out instead of working on my financial plan which is due in a week's time. Who do you think the singers are? If I'm not mistaken this song will be released tomorrow with the airing of episodes 13+14 ... I wonder what will happen if no one managed to guess correctly? 😂

19/10/17 edit: Turns out the artist was Monogram! I'm glad my guesses were close :P

Comments

Popular Posts