[1ST IMP][OST HL] Children of a Lesser God (2018)


The drama I'm currently most closely following! For some reason I've noticed that I tend to drop dramas 1 or 2 episodes near the end for no good reason and with the intention of finishing it ... so after pausing on 'I'm Not a Robot', 'A Korean Odyssey' and 'Emergency Couple', the latest drama I've landed on is 'Children of a Lesser God'.


I'm pretty sure I started this drama with the intention of procrastinating my work for a few more minutes, because this drama is barely being English subbed at the moment. I'm currently up to episode 6 (oops), having watched most of the drama so far with no subs (and hanging onto the tiny threads of Korean I recognise). After finding out recently that Chinese fans are subbing this drama, I've spent the last two episodes trying to recall the little Chinese I know and repetitively pausing to peck at the subs. In short: an eng-subbed version of this drama does not currently exist. Except for episode 1 which went up recently, which is promising :)

This drama revolves around a policewoman who has the supernatural ability to experience a victim's last moments before death, and a 'genius' policeman who relies on hard evidence and logic to crack cases. Does this sound familiar yet? I've seen someone comment that this drama is essentially 'Voice' but with a different supernatural ability, and there's a strong 'Black' vibe as well with the whole female-death-supernatural ability and dark-childhood-mystery. I always wondered why OCN dramas - think Tunnel, Save Me, Voice, Duel, the list goes on - are so similar, but it was only until I dug up a list of OCN dramas a few minutes ago that I realised they do have lighter dramas, but I just associate them with their dark ones. Maybe those are the more popular ones?

I haven't actually watched Save Me but I've read the synopsis and seen some clips ... I guess this drama is similar in that it's also taking a jab at corruption and religion? I actually wondered if the drama would be criticised for using a symbol so similar to the Christian cross for their corrupt religious group. 

The symbol of the corrupt (more like EVIL) religious entity in the drama

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the drama so far :) The plot line is interesting and it keeps me wanting more. I want to know the details of the tragedy that unfolded 24 years ago in the drama, and how the characters will react as they discover the truth. It's heartbreaking to see that the children who survived the tragedy are being haunted by it, or really, are still a part of it. 

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this drama, because I'm actually not a fan of the lead actor and actress. I've only watched the lead actor once ages ago in 'Lie to Me' (which I never finished), and I don't like how his voice jumps into occasional nasal-ness. I've never seen the female lead before, and don't find her particularly appealing so she doesn't instantly draw me in. I'm sorry, I know I'm being superficial but just sharing how I feel here ... Regardless, I think a good drama character will make me love any actor/actress, so maybe this drama will change how I feel towards them :) I mean, I probably wouldn't like Lee Jong Suk if it weren't for his drama roles.

Did I mention that there's a really good OST in this drama's soundtrack? Here it is below. It's a nice listen, but I feel like it's one of those songs you can't listen to many times because you'll start to get sick of it. It's got the characteristic OCN mysterious-dark-past feels ... kind of like ... this other OST from 'Tunnel' which I like ... which I'll share below as well ...




Hahaha so OCN doesn't only have similar dramas, they have similar OSTs as well. They've got that Western soulful swing to it which you don't really find in typical KOSTs. 'Black' OSTs were like that too, now that I think about it. Anyway, I recommend you give this drama a go, and hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I am :)

Comments

Popular Posts